A veneer is a thin, custom-made, tooth-coloured shell that is used to cover the surface of a tooth. Porcelain veneers are among the most popular aesthetic treatments used to create a more pleasing and beautiful smile. Porcelain veneers allow for the alteration of the tooth shape, position, size and colour. They require a minimal amount of tooth preparation and are, therefore, a more conservative restoration than a crown, which requires significant removal of the tooth enamel.
Porcelain veneers are an excellent solution for correcting small or medium spaces between teeth, imperfections in tooth position, poor colour, poor shape or contours, as well as some minor occlusal (bite) related problems. It can also allow for dramatic improvements for patients who have worn their teeth by bruxism (a condition whereby you grind your teeth in habitual patterns), or fractured teeth.
Veneers offer a myriad of benefits to individuals who seek to obtain an enhanced smile. These benefits include:
- They provide a natural tooth appearance.
- Gum tissue tolerates porcelain well.
- Porcelain veneers are stain resistant.
- The colour of a porcelain veneer can be selected such that it makes dark teeth appear whiter.
- Veneers offer a conservative approach to changing a tooth’s colour and shape; veneers generally don’t require the extensive shaping before the procedure that crowns do, yet offer a stronger, more aesthetic alternative.
So book your appointment with Cape Town’s leading cosmetic dentist, as veneers are one of Dr Corne Smith’s specialities.